Taxes and Getting Married: 3 Things You Need To Do

Sure getting married means you’ll more than likely change your filing status, but there are also some other administrative things that need to happen as well.

Congrats on getting married! And now there’s some paperwork that needs to get done. Here’s a list of some steps you need to make before filing your taxes with your new spouse.

  1. The first thing you’ll want to do is update your information with the USPS so any tax information will be sent to the right address.
  2. If you’re changing your name, you want to make sure you update the Social Security Administration. This is so your name will match on your return. And you’ll want to get a new Social Security Card as well. If you the name the Social Security has on record doesn’t match your name on your return, this could create a delay in processing your return, not to mention the hassle.
  3. If you moved, you’ll also want to make sure you fill out a change of address form with the IRS.

It’s always best to work with a seasoned tax professional like us so you can take full advantage of your new tax status. We’ll help you decide the best way to file for your unique situation. Give us a call!